Monday, April 14, 2014

Ebay

4/14/2014

Anyone who knows me well, also knows that I have had a longstanding affair with Ebay.  To say I love Ebay would certainly be an understatement. I started shopping on Ebay in 2001 and feedback, both as a seller and a buyer, is key.  To date, I have had 1009 transactions with 100% feedback.  I am a seller's dream customer - quick pay and positive feedback.  In the world of Ebay, such as myself, shy away from a seller who has a lower rating.  That doesn't mean it's a bad seller, but just gives me pause before bidding.

This weekend, I dumped out the contents of my closet(s), and started to become a seller in earnest.  Folks, let me tell you that it is much EASIER to buy than it is to SELL!  First, you have to take pictures, and they have to be clear ones.  So if you're selling a blouse, you need a picture of the whole blouse, back of the blouse as well as the clothing tag.  Trust me when I tell you this takes time - a lot of time!

If you're selling pants, skirts or shorts, you have to provide the length of the item as well as the inseam measurement.  Is the item: preworn, new w/tags, or new w/o tags.  Once you have managed to get good pictures of the item, then you have to describe it.  With the pictures, description is key.  Something like: beautiful, light green and white stripe shirt with 3/4 sleeves and button down collar, blah, blah.  

The only things I've put out this weekend for sale is Benjamin's pajamas and his underwear which were all unworn.  When he was younger, I liked to have a "stash" of these things just in case there was a need.  Since he's outgrown everything in my stash, it's time to sell or donate.  Donating would be much easier - stuff everything into a bag - and give it to Purple Heart or something.

This process of trying to sell stuff is very time-consuming.  But, as Jeff so clearly pointed out I have lots of TIME!  And that's a good thing, due to the length of time it takes to keep taking pictures until they are spot on and then pick a price, including shipping,  that is low enough to create interest and hopefully successful bidding.

Of the things I put out for bid yesterday, I have lots of lots of people viewing my items, but so far no bids.  The seller's fee to Ebay is based on your listing price, so the lower the price the better for the seller.

I virtually now have clothes strewn all over the house: clothes that have already been put on Ebay; clothes waiting to be put on Ebay today, and a whole bunch of clothes that have to be sorted out and then staged for pictures.

I hope it doesn't turn out that I'm a better buyer than I am a seller!  If I don't sell anything it will be hard to not be discouraged, because my listings are very low and are absolutely a bargain for the buyer.

Wish me luck.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...