Friday, May 16, 2014

Cleaning Closets and Drawers

5/16/2014

Now this may sound pretty boring to some of you, but I am having such a good time going through closets and drawers.  I get easily sidetracked by looking at old pictures, cards and other mementos, but it's a true delight to sit on the floor surrounded by memories.

In one box are the cards that my Dad mailed to my Mother during the war.  Obviously, they won't mean anything to the boys, but I'm going to keep them until I go "toes up".  I found all of my report cards from junior high and high school - I was a pretty good student!  Could I/should I toss them?  I've decided no.  These report cards are about me and the person/student that I was a long time ago.  I keep them because it's history, my history and nobody else's.  

I have photo albums filled to the brim with old pictures - the kind you took with a camera and then I had them developed at a store.  I like to see and remember the clothes from the 60's and 70's, not to mention hair do's.  

I like the love I get from reading greeting cards sent from family and friends over the years.  I like looking at Benjamin's baby pictures as well as his art projects he has done in the past. 

My cedar chest is filled to the brim and since I have the time, I open up the chest and take out a handful of treasures, cards, letters, pictures - you name it and I instantly go to my happy place.  My happy place is bright and sunny and filled with optimism for the future.  The dark days of 2013 are behind me and even though it was the worst time in my life, I learned that I am a survivor and that I have many gifts (of course I have to keep remembering this) to give to people.  I don't know what I'm going to do when I am unable to jam in another card or picture!  I know at some point in the future, I am hopeful that my children will open up that chest and appreciate the memories I have stored inside.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...