Thursday, May 22, 2014

High End Retailers

5/22/2014

Women, or the vast majority of us anyway, love shopping with a capital "L".  For most of my adult years, I have been more of a bargain basement type shopper.  If I can buy a plain t-shirt at a discount store for $5.99, why would I buy something very similar at a fancy store for double the cost?  Prestige perhaps?  Truly the only way somebody will know for certain that you paid an ubber price for something is if you wear your clothes inside out! 

When I could afford it, I loved shopping at Nordstrom where the service is excellent.  You don't see bored sales clerks standing around watching you struggle to get something off a rack, or wonder what a perfume smells like.  When I am in their store I feel just like Pretty Woman and while I know they get paid to take care of us, I still feel really special, and a girl needs to feel that way occasionally.

I once worked for someone who received the Christmas Neiman Marcus catalog and the items for sale were amazing.  Oh and pricey too, but it doesn't cost anything to go gaga over some beautiful piece of jewelry.

I think with the amount of on line buying that is going on, I'm sure that the brick and mortar stores are feeling the pain.  For me, I'd rather sit at home and search for something, punch a few keys on the computer and receive my package in minimal time.  Benefits of staying at home shopping are obviously having no trouble finding a place to park and pushing you way through shoppers and/or strollers.  For the most part, retailers have eliminated a lot of employees working the floor, so if you have a question or need help reaching something, you're pretty much on your own.

I've never shopped in a high priced store (other than Nordstroms), partly because I think I would be uncomfortable being in a store where pretty much everything is out of my financial reach.  There's no benefit that I can see from going into a store and sighing over fancy baubles knowing they're not going home with you.  

To be truthful, I would love to go inside a Tiffany's store one day.  I know that the prices and choices there would be mind blowing, but it might be fun to do it once.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...