Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Missed Words in a Book

5/28/2014

Sorry for the no post yesterday.  As I've said before, some days I just come up short in the idea department!

I've been doing a lot of reading lately and even though I don't read every line on the page, I have noticed an increase in the amount of words missing from each book.  I assumed, and probably incorrectly, that they had some kind of "reader person" whose responsibility it was to read each and every word.  I'm sure it's normal for a reader to miss some of the unintentionally omitted words.

As for me the reader, I find the missing words in a sentence break the flow of my reading.  After I read such a sentence, I have to go over the sentence again and mentally insert the missing word, so that the sentence now makes sense (to me).

I wish there was some kind of volunteer opportunity to read books looking for missing or misspelled words.  I would love a job like that!  Just think you could read all the books, good and bad, for free.  All you would have to do is give the publisher your input on errors, and as an added bonus avoid the piling up of books all over the house.

Actually after talking about proofreading jobs, I did a quick search on the Internet, and those jobs really do exist.  Most of those jobs, however, require you to sit in an office and work the standard 9 to 5 hours.  Um, I'm not interested to returning to a corporate environment, I would like to be able to just volunteer to do some proofing.  I'll keep you posted if I find such a job.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...