Saturday, May 24, 2014

Playing in the Dirt

5/24/2014

Yesterday was a fine day in Maryland.  The sun was out, the sky crystal blue and the temperature was warm but thankfully not hot.

In the middle of the afternoon I took a trip to Lowes to get myself some more plants for the backyard as well as some new gardening tools that are more to my liking.  Even though it was midday, the store was pretty crowded.  Guess everybody who wasn't at work thought, like I did, that it would be better to shop for plants, etc., on Friday rather than later on the weekend, when the store would be mobbed with people!

I bought myself two new ornamental grass plants, one is called Strawberries and Cream (doesn't that sound delightful?) and I forget the name of the other plant.  I already have three ornamental grass plants in the yard and they grow tall, are very pretty and the only maintenance is in the fall when I cut the grass down to the ground to make way for new growth in the spring.

I also bought two Hostas, which grow quickly.  They aren't tall but as they mature become really wide and cover a lot of ground.  Like the grasses, I cut these back in the winter also. I also planted my children's favorite plant growing up "Lamb's Ears".  This plant is gray and the leaves are soft and when you touch them, you are reminded of petting a soft coated animal (like a lamb).

Once home I went out with my trusty new tools and my child-sized shovel and began the chore of making holes and planting the new bushes.  I don't have much of a green thumb so I'm hoping that everything I planted will survive.

Today's yard chore is to rake along the fence where there are small twigs that fell when we were trimming the trees a week ago and pick up all the dead leaves as well.  I am determined that this year I'm going to stay ahead of the weeds and try to have an attractive assortment of plants to look at from my kitchen window.  Wish me luck.

The only problem with playing in the dirt is that the 'ol body hurts the next day!  Even though I'm stiff today, somehow it's a good kind of stiffness, possibly because those pains were earned while I was being productive!

After I do a few inside chores (boring), I'm going to head back to the backyard to continue my labors.  My time in the backyard isn't all work, the dogs come outside and while they run around I am my nozzle at them and this game never seems to grow old for them or myself.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...