Monday, May 5, 2014

Happy Anniversary Jeff

5/5/2014

Today is not only Cinco de Mayo, but also the anniversary of our first date.  With all the logistics involved in that date, it's an absolute wonder that not only was the date successful, but was the beginning of a forty year relationship.

My Dad worked at a company where Jeff's sister also worked.  Over coffee, and apparently nothing better to talk about, the two of them compared notes regarding Jeff and myself.  Yes, we were both single (I was divorced), we didn't smoke and drank rarely.  I was working but back in 1974, paychecks didn't have any zeros before the decimal point, and most of my money went to paying for my son's nursery school.

Jeff was working for the County of Riverside and making better money than me, but not exactly rolling around in extra cash.  Then again, things didn't cost as much back in the day as they do now.

Oh back to Dad and Jill (Jeff's sister), after they had compared notes and both agreed that Jeff and I were lonely (and we were), that we should go on a blind date and they would put the wheels in motion for us.

Dad came home one night after work and told me that Jeff, who he described as a big man with a beard (but a good paying job), would call me and ask me out.  I was supposed to say yes.  Across town, Jill was telling Jeff that I was divorced with a child and that he was going to call me and ask me out, and I would say yes.  This was guaranteed by both blind date "setter uppers"!

Jeff called as planned and I, of course, said yes.  He said something about a movie and apparently he mentioned dinner, but I didn't remember that after getting off the call.  Before the date, I went out to buy something new to wear.  This obviously didn't make much sense, since Jeff and I had never seen each other - but I went shopping anyway.

Prior to Jeff's arrival, I had dinner with my parents and then sat around waiting.  When the doorbell rang, there was complete pandemonium in the house.  My parents and sister wanted to go to the front door, but I went quickly outside, leaving them to peek (not discretely) out the window.

Jeff was a big man with a bushy beard and wearing a checkered shirt and plaid pants!  That was the last time he wore those clothes together.  We walked to his car which was covered in antennas (he was a ham operator).  My Dad had mentioned this "ham" thing to me and told me to be sure to ask about it.  Dutiful daughter that I was, I asked about the microphone and something that looked a bit like a dissected telephone and the rest as they say was history.  Jeff was happy to explain everything I never knew I wanted to know about ham radios and he remained active in ham radios until we left California in 1986.


Jeff had planned to take me to dinner (oops on my part), and unfortunately since I had already eaten, didn't have much of an appetite.  We went to a drive-in movie and saw Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.  By that time I was hungry and could sell the popcorn - and I love movie popcorn.  Since I didn't feel right asking Jeff to buy me popcorn, since I didn't eat my dinner, I made several trips to the restroom just so that I could inhale the buttery fragrance.

At the end of the date we talked some and didn't talk some!  Jeff told me that he had a ham radio event the next day, but he would call me.  Rather than going back to my little apartment I waited all day at my parents' house for that call.  As the hours dragged on and getting no call, I had already made up my mind that I had enjoyed a first date, but apparently there wasn't going to be a second one.  

And then he called and apologized for not calling me sooner in the day.  I was overcome with relief and happiness that Jeff wanted to see me again. From May 5th of 1974 until September 21st of 1974 (our wedding day), Jeff and I saw or talked to each other every day.  

I still thank my Dad for getting me a date with this fabulous and loving man.  Through our forty years together, we have been side by side through both the good times as well as the sad ones.  

Never once has Jeff left me down in all these years.  He has been a rock that I can and have leaned on.  My wish?  Is asking for forty more years together too much to hope for?

Happy anniversary Jeff.  I love you to the moon and back.

Love P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...