Saturday, May 17, 2014

Weddings

5/17/2014

I know that you are aware that we are coming up to the prime wedding seasons - spring and summer.  Of course this dress up affair would happen at the hottest and most humid time of the year!

Probably those of you who are reading today are either: (a) married; (b) engaged; (c) was married.  Think back to your own wedding, which was "x" years ago.

Here's a recap of mine.  In September, Jeff and I will celebrate our 40th anniversary and our wedding in 1974 was small and inexpensive.  My Mother made my dress out of champagne silk and covered it with a sheer top to which she applied flowers and beads.  It was a beautiful dress and I have no idea how much the fabric cost her, but based on today's standards, was inexpensive I'm sure.

I wore some flowers in my hair and carried a simple but beautiful bouquet of flowers.  The reception was held in the church hall and consisted of cake, punch and some almonds that are covered in a sugar shell (probably a better way to describe it), but that's the only thing I can think of.

My parents made for my wedding and again I never asked, nor did they tell me, how much the wedding cost them, but I know that it was a staggering amount that required them to take out a loan!

 The cost of a wedding in 1974 was roughly $2,000 (give or take) compared to an average of over $8,000.00 today.  For me personally, I'd rather spend less on a wedding and use any extra money to buy a house.  

Here are the average costs for a 2014 wedding in Maryland.  I added up the maximum amounts for each item and it totaled over $76,000.00!  Keep in mind you are just as much married if you spend a mere few thousand as you are if you spend mega bucks.      


Maryland
Attire: $2512 to $4001
Ceremony: $2894 to $4610
Entertainment: $3227 to $5139
Flowers: $2029 to $3230
Gifts and Favors: $1018 to $1622
Invitations and Stationery: $961 to $1530
Jewelry: $6168 to $9824
Honeymoon/Planning: $5024 to $8001
Photographer/Videographer: $3500 to $5574
Reception: $15,587 to $26,572
Transportation: $965 to $1538



     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...