Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Too Many Books, Too Little Time!

5/6/2013

People, I have a real dilemma.  I really do and it's all about books.  I have even created a spreadsheet to help me keep track of the books I want to read and those I have read.  If a new book sounds particularly interesting to me, then I give it a star rating!.  Okay, I know you're thinking how anal I am.  And, unfortunately, you're right.

Each Sunday the paper has a page about new books coming out.  Every woman's magazine has book reviews and you can also use Google to help you find books, old or new.  While I'm retired, I don't just sit on my rear, eating bon-bons and reading non-stop.  I still have chores around the house and my reward for actually folding up my laundry, as opposed to leaving the clothes in the dryer for days, is etching out a time to read.

My Kindle is loaded with books that I have yet to read. You would simply be amazed how many free books you can get for your Kindle.  Obviously, I'm not talking about current best sellers, but books that didn't make it big in the print world. Some of these free books are pretty good - others not so much!  The good part of a free book is that you don't feel forced to read something you're not enjoying, simply because you paid for it.  

With "real" books, you can always return them, to where you bought them.  Hint: if you're going to return a book, and you have actually read it, it better look like you didn't (bent spine, etc.).  Kindle books are yours now and forever, there is no returning.

So sitting on my desk this morning are several pages of book titles I want to check out.  I will see if the library has the books first and if they don't, then and only then will I be interested in buying a book.  Amazingly enough sometimes the Kindle price for a book is more expensive than the real thing.  Go figure.

Also a problem I have with Amazon, is the books that I'm interested in, don't come in large print.  I can still read smaller print but it's harder on my eyes and if given the option, I will always opt for large print books.

So what's on my review list this week:  Delicious by Ruth Reichl; The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd; To Grip You by Ayelet Waidman; All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr; If Only You People Could Follow Directions by Jessica Hendry Nelson.

If you're looking for something to read, you might want to look at these books.  If you find something you really enjoy, please let know.  I can never have too many books to read!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...