Saturday, May 10, 2014

What A Difference A Day Makes!

5/10/2014

Yesterday, I went to Home Depot to look for some small (i.e., cheap) plants and flowers for the backyard now that the cypress trees no longer have low branches and the backyard now actually gets some sun.

While I was pushing around my cart, I noticed that there is basically only two kinds of people who shop in the middle of the week:  mothers with young children; and, gray haired old folks like me.  The parking lot was empty, clerks were attentive and since there were a lot fewer people than you find on a weekend, milling around the aisles was lovely.

Fast forward to today.  I went back to Home Depot very early this morning to exchange something I had bought.  Now the parking lot was jammed and you had to park in the north 40.  The store was crammed with people and you could just about forget to go into the nursery.  

Since Mother's Day is tomorrow, rose bushes, calla lilies, and gorgeous hanging baskets filled to the brim with an assortment of flowers, were flying off the shelf.  You couldn't have paid me enough money to go into the nursery section today.

The other store that I'm sure is seeing a lot of business today is a Hallmark store.  I think a lot of people buy cards for special occasions because they believe they have to/need to. Sometimes I think there is some guilt buying going on.  You don't want to be the guy/gal at the water cooler on Monday, that can't answer the question: "So, what did you do for your Mother for Mother's Day"?  Probably insert painful pause here!

Jeff and I don't buy cards for each other.  Instead we go to the card aisle in WalMart and pick out mushy and funny cards for each other.  We read the message and return the card to the rack.  

Once I came back from Home Depot, I grabbed my trusty shovel, which happens to be a child's shovel, but is the perfect size for me and grabbed up my new plants and got to digging.  Keeping my fingers crossed now that my little plants will grab hold and grow big and strong.  Or, here's hoping that Sam (terrier) doesn't decide to dig where the new plants are!

I'm back in the house now and all nice and clean.  I'm exhausted but it's a good kind of exhaustion - a job well done.  If we have cooler temperatures next week, there is some wedding and picking up of small branches that needs to be done, and I can handle that job.

Happy Saturday.

P



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...