Thursday, May 8, 2014

Happy Mother's Day

5/8/2014

My Mother's Day present from Jeff came a few days early and I couldn't be happier.  I don't need and don't want flowers (they die), candy (I eat it), jewelry (I have all that I want) or a fancy dinner out (too expensive.  So what's left you ask?

Yard work!  In 1986 we planted across the back fence Leland Cypress trees, and they were so little and cute.  Well fast forward to 2014, and I can assure you they ain't little anymore.  If, if ever decided to top off the trees so they wouldn't continue to grow, I'm pretty sure you'd need a real big ladder or a cherry picker.  The Cypress trees are very shallow rooted but they grow like six guns and have for years provided us a sense of privacy in the backyard.

During the winter snow and ice storms, the lower branches of the trees became heavy and snapped off.  While we've been avoiding the trimming of the trees, today was the day.  Of course, we picked the hottest day of the year to do this!  Jeff got out the ladders and saws and we started giving each tree a haircut.   There are no low laying branches now, all the branches are at least six feet from the ground.  My privacy from my neighbor is now comprised, but somehow seeing all that empty space in the yard felt somehow freeing to me.  It's like cleaning out a closet - a tough job, but the reward is huge.

I'm not one of those wives who sits in a chair directing "traffic".  Nope, I was right beside Jeff hauling branches to the tree so that he could make a dump run.  I didn't work as hard as Jeff, but nobody wants to see me teeter-totter on a ladder and I'm pretty sure I'd be no good with an saw.

So I'm waiting for Jeff to come home to tell me whether he's going back to the dump again today or if he'll wait until tomorrow.  I'm holding off showering until I know what the plans are, and boy do I ever need a shower.

One of my neighbors looked over the fence (he's a bit nosy) and wanted to know what we were doing.  This was one of those questions where the answer should have been obvious - duh - cutting down tree branches!

In anticipation of Mother's Day, Jeff and I bought some hash browns for Sunday breakfast.  Fix those with eggs, bacon and sourdough toast, and it's a perfect meal.  We all know that special occasions like Easter or Mother's Day, etc., are the absolute worst days to go out to dinner, unless you want to eat at 3:00!

Jeff will be away on Saturday at some pilot event, and I'll stay at home and putter.  I have to tell you that one of my spare rooms and two closets have never looked better!

For all of my friends and family, I wish you a Happy Mother's Day in advance.  

P

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...