Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Cooking on a Hot Summer Day

7/2/2014

People, it's hot outside and likely is where you are as well.  Today turning on the oven is the last thing I want to do - who needs to make the house hotter and the a/c running harder?  Not me.

Tonight we are going to barbecue some pork chops and I am making potato and pea salads.  Both easy to make, pop them in the fridge and dinner is served.

I have had commercially made potato salad and personally don't believe it even comes close to the real thing, which is my recipe, which was my mother's, etc.  In addition to all the other normal ingredients you find in potato salad, I also add yellow mustard.  Instead of white potato salad, mine has a nice yellow color and it is what I was raised on.

I'm also going to make pea salad, also served cold. Thawed frozen peas, mayo, crumbled bacon (the real stuff), and cheddar cheese, stir and serve.  Couldn't be easier.

Dessert will be frozen mixed berries with cool whip mixed in. Pop into the freezer and while you're watching tv, if you can find anything worthwhile to watch, you'll find that the frozen berries are a nice cold treat on a summer day.  You can, if you are ambitious, add the fruit and cool whip into a graham cracker pie crust, which I have done in the past.  I didn't have a graham cracker crust one time, and decided to just freeze the berries, and it tastes just fine.  You could always, I suppose, crumble some graham crackers on top if you want.

There you have it.  Dinner all prepared before noon, except for the meat which is Jeff's territory.

Have a cool day.,

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...