Saturday, July 19, 2014

To Read, Or Do Housework?

7/19/2014

What a dilemma - actually not really.  Since the beginning of my junior high days (a long long time ago), I have loved to read.  I used to get in so much trouble by always telling my Mother that I'd be there in a "sec".  She knew as well as I did that the "sec" was going to be measured in minutes for sure and hours if I was very lucky.

I'm a big girl now with a large appetite for the written word.  I can read on my Kindle though I don't like it as much as holding an actual book.  Of course, to my poor eyesight now, I'm sort of stuck with large print books, if I want to be able to read without straining the old eyeballs.  I tried books on tapes for awhile, and the idea was good, the actual books that I received could actually cure insomnia!  I sent the books on tape back.

Chores are just something we do supposedly so that we can get to the good stuff, like reading.  I have 11 books currently checked out at the library and am going back this morning to get a few more.  I am a fast reader partly because I'm more of a scanner.  Certain parts of a book I really do read every word, but if the story is lagging, then I can scan the page and continue to follow the story line. 

Jeff is with Andrew today picking up some kind of "gator" (motorized cart thingy I think) and won't be home until late this afternoon.  So in the spirit of never putting anything off - unless you can help it - I cleaned up the kitchen.  I even emptied the dishwasher, or at least most of it!

Yesterday I made a trek to KMart to find a new container for our dry dog food.  Shopping mid-week is truly a piece of cake and is one perk of being retired.  For more years than I can remember the dog food sat in a round trash can w/a lid that we never bothered to actually use.  Because I like moving things around, I bought myself a very thin space saver trash can with a button you press to open it up.  The fact that it's a lovely shade of blue in no way influenced my decision to buy it - or at least much!

I'll go the library and do a leisurely browse.  When I come home, then I'll see about dragging the dust rag over a few pieces of furniture which will make me feel pious.  I've been home since September and we haven't had someone cleaning our house since very early of last year.  I have found, however, that if (and it's a big if), you don't actually move anything on a table or chest, then it doesn't look as dusty.  Or I can sit in my chair reading and convince myself that the furniture doesn't need a once over, just yet.

Once I'm back from the library this morning, I may return to the computer and continue working on my old friend "Wilma".  I have done a lot of research about Baltimore during the Civil War and some of the facts were very interesting.  A church in Baltimore that was started by a former slave still stands today and we drive past it when we go to Hopkins.  

Have a great Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...