Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Volunteering - First Day

7/15/2012

Yesterday, while fighting down my anxiety demons, I managed, with Jeff's help, to go to my new volunteering job.  I had initially signed up to work five days, but then got cold feet or "buyer's remorse", and settled on three days.

Jeff drove me and during the ride over, truthfully I wanted to throw up.  It's been a year since I've been in an office and admittedly was terrified to walk through the front door.  The volunteer coordinator is very nice and she sat with me all morning.  We walked through who to call when "x" happens, where to put the mail and things like that.

Compared to my days as a secretary where I was responsible for answering multiple lines, transferring calls and/or taking messages, the front desk at this non-profit center, was quiet and allowed me time during my shift to work on a crossword puzzle.

Getting the callers and visitors to the right people was a little challenging, because some of the names, of both visitors and employees, are a bit unusual and phonics has never been my strength.  The volunteer coordinator sat at a nearby computer doing her work but close by in case I needed help.  By the end of my three hours I was feeling more confident and the coordinator was impressed that I caught on so quickly to the answering and transferring calls.  

For now I'm sticking to a three day schedule, but have already volunteered for a special project coming up this summer for a large mailing of an upcoming event.

While I was a bit rusty initially and more than a little shaky, I hung in there and met some very nice people.  It looks like it will be a good match for me.  Tomorrow, instead of Jeff driving me to the office, I'll let him ride shotgun while I do the driving.  If that goes well, then on Friday I will drive myself.  Baby steps!

I see my doctor today and I know she'll be disappointed that I opted out of my initial five day work schedule, but likely will give me kuddos for not bailing out yesterday when my stomach was in a knot.

P

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! Five days would have been overwhelming......baby steps first.


    Hugs, Ruthie




    ReplyDelete
  2. This volunteer job is perfect for you, Patti! Don't be concerned with doing three days rather than five; I know this organization is thrilled to have you! Thinking of you, Kathi

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...