Thursday, July 3, 2014

Waiting to Write

7/3/2014

Over the years, I have poked and prodded myself about writing.  I think I can be funny when I'm talking, but sadly that doesn't seem to come across when I write.  What I do know is this - if I never write and/or submit anything - well then guess what?  I'll never get noticed.  Reminds of wishing you could have a winning lottery ticket, but never buying the ticket!

Most of you know that I have been "tinkering" around with my Wilma story.  Initially, Wilma was going to be a saggy, baggy, and sassy librarian.  I have taken a very bold step, for me, and I hired an editor to try and help me gather my thoughts and put them in order.  I also decided that frankly I don't know beans about being a librarian, other than they are surrounded by books (heaven).  Wilma is now a legal secretary, something I know a lot about.  Wilma will still have the same characteristics, closely resembling yours truly!

I have also done research and know that Lincoln had private secretaries, men of course and both of these men eventually wrote their own diaries.  I can't find any mention of an actual diary written by Lincoln, so I have to stretch the truth about Lincoln's diary - a little bit!

In addition to dusting off Wilma and promising myself to continue to slog through hundreds of pages that I have written in the past, I have also sent my story regarding depression and suicide to the local paper's Health and Science Editor.  Will I hear from him/her?  Doubt it, but we're back to that winning ticket thing again.

I have also sent an article to hopefully be published in the Cirrus's COPA magazine.  I wrote a letter a few years ago about flying over shark-infested waters on our way to the Bahamas.  

What I wrote about this time was the Cirrus' pilots who make VAC (Veterans Airlift Command) flights for disabled veterans.  Jeff has made a fair number of these and feels good that he can help these young men and women fly to their families or to a treatment center.

Pilots also make Angel Flights for people who are in need of medical attention.  Last summer when we were in Mobile, I for the second time that year, attempted suicide.  I was hospitalized and Jeff had to return home, leaving me in Mobile.  Two pilots, who I may or may not have ever met, offered to bring me home on an Angel Flight.  Jeff flew back to Mobile commercially and then the two of us flew home on their jet.  Jeff was thrilled with the plane ride back, because the jet is amazing.  I was still struggling mentally, and while I appreciated the beauty and speed of that plane, all I could do was stare out the window and wonder about my future once I got home.

What I won't forget is the generosity of these two men who took time out of their lives to deliver me safely home.  

There is still good in the world and I was the recipient of it not only on my Angel Flight but the kindness of my friends and family.

P


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...