Sunday, July 6, 2014

Ikea

7/6/2014

Yesterday, suffering from cabin fever, Jeff took me off to Ikea.  It's a huge store and arrows are painted on the floor directing you around the floor.  I, of course, forgot all about the arrows and was continually in the path of everybody else!  Obviously, I can't/don't follow directions.

The store is amazing and you can pick up lots of goodies that you didn't know you needed until you saw it on the shelf!  They sell a lot of things prepackaged for the homeowner.  There is an entire section devoted to boxes of glasses - any size and type you wanted. Boxes of dishes for four, which would make a nice starter set for somebody setting up house.

We walked past pictures, fake plants, bedding (unfortunately Sweden apparently has never heard about a California King mattress), drapes, rugs, pillows - you name it.

So what did I buy?  Ikea sells a Melmac-like salad plate that has raised sides.  I had two of these plates and if you're going to sit on the sofa and watch tv and eat, these plates are what you need because they keep the food on the plate and not in your lap.  Unfortunately, after many meals one of my plates developed a crack too big to ignore and I wanted a replacement. The only plates similar to the one I have had pink and orange flowers, which wouldn't be my first color choice, but since there was no other alternative color, I went ahead and bought four plates.

After plates we went to the lighting department, where we have been before.  I have a cataract and need a really bright light focused on the page that I'm reading.  A normal table lamp doesn't even come close to meeting my needs.  And, yes I tried talking books, but all they were good for was an insomnia cure!

We settled on a metal floor lamp which has a large, somewhat industrial l look, but the top part of the lamp is adjustable and takes a bright bulb.  I'm hoping that this lamp will work out for me and make reading easier.  (I kept the receipt just in case)!

Luckily for Jeff, I can only walk a short amount of time, so it was once around the store quickly, pick up my plates, lamp and go home.  I could have used a wheelchair but I just can't come to terms with doing that.  

A quiet day planned for today.  Have a slew of library books to read and while it's true I could dust or clean the bathrooms, I just as easily sit in the chair and read (which is really preferred over household chores).

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...