Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Benjamin

7/7/2014

Today, Jeff and I are picking up Benjamin to stay with us for a few days.  I've made sure that my pantry and fridge are stocked with all of his favorite foods.  While he's at our house, what he eats is on a holiday of sorts.  He loves pop-tarts, chicken nuggety things, chocolate milk and cookies.

You don't have to tell me that this doesn't sound like a well rounded group of foods, but I'm his grandmother so I believe that an occasional indulgence at my house is fine.  I used to eat popcorn for breakfast at my Grandmother's house!  She also kept candy corn on hand and no visit was complete until I had eaten, very carefully, each different colored layer of the candy. I didn't really believe that any of the layers tasted differently, just couldn't pop the whole piece of candy in my mouth at once.

Since it's summer, I have bought some water pistols so that Benjamin and I can chase (slowly in my case) each other around the yard trying to get each other wet.  I also bought some kind of foam gun thing that you apparently fill with water, press the plunger down and water shoots out.  

Weather permitting, Jeff and I want to fly Benjamin on Thursday to the beach.  There is a small airport, a restaurant and an outside shower about two streets away from the beach.  If weather doesn't allow us to fly, then we'll hit a local community center that has water fountains and water slides, all things that a young boy would love.

The only down size of having Benjamin with us for a few days, is the eventual good-bye.  Even though he's now six years old, our separation from each other generally ends up in tears for both of us and sometimes even a bit of an outburst when he knows I'm leaving.  Still, the good certainly outweighs the sadness I feel after heading home.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...