Monday, July 7, 2014

Horn Honking

7/7/2014

Have you ever noticed when stuck in traffic, that some moron (in my humble opinion), beeps his horn.  What he/she hopes to achieve by doing this, I have no earthly idea.  To make matters worse, the horn honking starts off some kind of automatic response by other drivers.  Why?  Beats the heck out of me.

If traffic isn't moving, for whatever reason, then honking your horn isn't going to magically make the traffic move.  Horn honking reminds me of dogs barking their hellos to other dogs in the neighborhood. Once one dog starts, all the dogs feel the need to answer the call. 

When a red light turns green and the first car doesn't move right away, then a gentle (emphasis on the word gentle) toot from the driver behind him/her is simply a reminder that folks would like to see more than one car make it through an intersection.  

When a car behind me honks, it startles me, and I'm left wondering what, if anything, I have done to annoy the other driver.  I admit that some drivers wouldn't give a flip about hearing a horn.  In some cases, a driver might even decide to: slow down; refuse to change lanes; cut you off in a parking garage, or commit any other multitudes of sins, real or imagined.  

I don't think most of us start our day wondering how many people we can annoy. I know that sitting in traffic on a highway isn't any fun, and the only reasonable response to your frustration is to beep your annoyance.  Truthfully, horn honking isn't going to get anything or anybody moving faster.  In fact it might just have the opposite effect!

Saw this on the internet - where else and thought you might enjoy it:

There is a video showing a dog sounding a car horn for 15 minutes after it's owner spent too long in an art gallery. Fern, an 18 month old boxer, was filmed leaning back in the driver seat with her left paw resting on the steering wheel and repeatedly pressing the horn. The dog had been left inside the car while her owner was browsing in an art gallery.  Smart dog!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...