Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Retirees Eating Out

8/5/2014

Eating out.  Who doesn't like to do that?  I know I'm all in, except for the niggling thought in the back of my head, about spending money on food - that could be prepared at home.  Just not as tasty and with no prep or clean up required.

Statistics show that retirees over the age of 65 bought an average of 193 meals last year up from 171 in 2009.

Retirees over the age of 65 bought an average of 193 meals each at restaurants last year up from 171 in 2009.  

Retirees are a great source of income for restaurants.  The average restaurant check for a retiree is $8.05 vs. $7.33 for other adults.  And we retirees frequent fast food places 63% of the time, and 37% of the time they go to restaurants with waiters and waitresses.

The early bird special was made for retirees, who let's face it, have a lot of free time.  I know that Jeff and I have been known to share one dinner, which obviously cuts down on the cost, but also solves the problem of eating too much.

I found a cookbook on Amazon that I think us retirees might be interested in, if for no other reason than the title "The Baby Boomer's Retirement Cookbook: or How to Eat Cheaper than Dog Food.  I don't know if the book is any good, but the price is certainly on the high end - used books from $36.31 and new books from $15.29.  What doesn't make sense is why does the used books cost more than a brand new one?  If I was even remotely curious I'd try and find the book at the library, and see if paying for the book is actually worth it.

For me, I'd rather buy  Dr. Seuss' book "You're Only Old Once: A Book for Obsolete Children!

Growing old is very much like being young - it's a once in a lifetime experience.

Enjoy your inner child today.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...