Saturday, August 16, 2014

State and County Fairs

8/16/2014

During the months of August and September, county and state fairs abound all across America.  There are some things that don't change about fairs - rides, smells and last but by no means last - FOOD!  As a teenager, going to the fair meant indulging my sweet tooth with cotton candy.  Fast forward to the present, and the gooey stuff just makes my teeth hurt.  I think this is a sign of maturity - or putting in another way - getting old!

Going to the fair as a teenager, romances blossomed over sharing food, hanging on to "that guy" during a scary ride.  Of course, the male teen always had to try and win a large stuffed animal for his girl.  Nobody wanted those wimpy little stuffed animals - no it had to be ginormous!  Of course, dragging it around you all evening and on rides, made those huge animals a burden that had to be dealt with while you dragged or pulled that giant panda around with you all evening.

Let's get to the good stuff - fair food!  Fair food has evolved plenty since the 60's.  Here's what you can get today - oh and none of it is healthy, which is why it always tastes so good!

Deep fried food has become popular. You can now fry Oreos, candy bars, coke, ravioli, Twinkies, Kool-Aid, beer, Pop Tarts, Frito pie and a club salad.  In 2011 Wisconsin State Fair had the ultimate fried food item - BUTTER!

Oregon State Fair serves "Road Kill" and Tennessee State Fair has Deep-Fried Goo Goo Clusters.  In Arizona, if you're feeling daring you can eat a Maggot Melt Sandwich (I believe I'll skip that).
 


I'm not even going to try and tally up the calories that are consumer every day at a fair.  Pretty sure we're talking about LOTS and most of it comes from sugar!  I am a sugar person, but even I have my limits.  If you eat enough sugar, then you have to wash it down with salt, back to sugar and so on!

So grab your comfy shoes (those are the ones in the back of the closet) that you won't worry about if you step in something squishy!  Take your motion sickness pills and an empty stomach!

Enjoy.

P






No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...