Monday, August 4, 2014

Things That Fly

8/4/2014

For the most part I like things that fly - planes, kites, birds, balloons. 

The other things that fly - flies, wasps, bees, etc., nearly drive me crazy (and we all know that's a short trip).  This weekend, for no reason that I can think of, my kitchen has become a battleground - Jeff and I and the flyswatter - and the flies.  I don't like to be dive-bombed by a fly when I'm sitting down and I don't like to see them hanging around my kitchen windows.

Initially, we had the windows open, screens down and the more flies we killed, the more that showed up.  Ah, we decided let's close the windows feeling sure that would be the end of our fly dilemma.  As one comedian used to say "nay nay".  Jeff says that I should "gently" hit the flies which will kill them.  But I, want to smack them, making sure that my prey (at least that one) won't bother me again.

Yesterday evening not a fly in sight.  I come down this morning and they're back.  I have no idea where they're coming from, but I know where they're going.  I read on line that flies are drawn to apple cider vinegar, why I can't imagine and are repelled by whole cloves.

Sitting on my counter this morning is a container with vinegar and holes punched in the top and I have just added a small bowl of whole cloves.  I suppose as a last resort, I could spray around my kitchen windows, but I'm going to try all these healthy, environmentally friendly things first. 

Fair warning to the flies - you don't belong in my house.  You can stay outside as much as you want, but you're not welcome inside.  When I saw the flies yesterday I became Attila the Hun and was relentless in my battle with the flies.

I, like most folks, have one or two flies in the house occasionally, but these bad boys seem to be multiplying by the hour.  

Wish me luck.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...