Thursday, August 28, 2014

Homeless People

8/28/2014

Yesterday while driving to and from appointments, I became deeply concerned about the number of people waiting on street corners holding up signs asking for money.  The ones that stay on the curb, don't cause me much lot, as I drive by in my car.

The people who walk in the street between cars does cause me some concern.  For one their safety, but two it makes me uncomfortable when they approach my car. I'm sitting in air conditioned comfort, listening to my favorite radio station, and their dressed in dirty rags.

So how much money do beggars make? Here's a few statistics:

In 2013, a South African study found that beggars could make the equivalent of $18 per day.

In 2008, it was reported that some Oregon beggars outside a WalMart make $100K a year or $300 per day.

In Oklahoma, makes $60K per year or $30 per day.

We assume that beggars just want money for alcohol and drugs.  Statistics say that isn't always the case.  They buy some of the things we do: clothes, food, etc.  Some people suggest instead of giving someone money, you should bring them something to eat.  I have never seen overweight beggar,  just the opposite in fact - they are thin.

I don't know about you, but when beggars approach my car, I find that I can't look at them.  Am I self-conscious about owning a car? Or am I embarrassed that I don't stick my arm out the window and give somebody a few dollars?  I suspect it's a case of both of those things.  I recognize some beggars due so to a change in their circumstances.  We all know that if you don't have a real address, then likely you won't be able to get an apartment.  Many people's stories plays in a continuous loop.

Just something to think about.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...