Friday, August 15, 2014

Wilma

8/15/2014

I haven't talked about my old friend Wilma in awhile.  I took the plunge and now have an editor, which was a real leap of faith for me, seeing as I don't really have a book.  At least not yet.

I initially was going to call the book "Lincoln's Missing Diary", but have switched horses mid-stream.  I have been on the internet, which for those of you who remember,  is so handy compared to dragging out encyclopedias!  

Looking into Baltimore's Civil War history has turned up quite a lot.  Apparently, in 1935, construction workers laying pipes under the city, found a dirt tunnel about three feet high.  I'm sure that was part of the Underground Railroad.  

A former slave founded The Orchard Street Church in 1825, which has been renovated and is now the home of the Baltimore Urban League.  I believe that when we go to Hopkins, we are very close to that church.  Apparently, there is a tour that you can take of the Underground Railroad, and The Orchard Street Church is one of the places you can visit.  The church has a secret tunnel and hiding area that indicates that it was a stop on the Underground Railroad. Orchard Street Church is the highlight of the tour because the legendary escape tunnel is there.

Since I'm turning up so much information about Baltimore and it's part in the Civil War, it seems likely that Wilma might be telling the story about the movement of slaves through the city.

Here's what I do know: if I think writing a daily blog is hard, it's even harder to write something that you hope might someday be complete enough, as well as good enough, to actually be a book - but no pressure!

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...