Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Happy Birthday To Me!

12/17/2014

It's official folks, I am now joining the masses of "older" people.  My medicare was effective on the first of December, and so far has been accepted by the doctors that I see.  Obviously, you really don't want to see a doctor who doesn't take Medicare, because the cost of the visit or tests would be on you.

I remember wanting to be 18, thinking that somehow when I reached that magical age I would be all grown up - boy was I ever wrong.  Then being 21 was my next "great" age.  I wasn't and am not a drinker, so turning 21 wasn't about my being legal to drink.  It just seemed like a cool age to be.

I have always thought of my age as a ladder.  When you are heading toward a birthday that ends in a five, as in 65 as an example, you have sloughed your way to the top while you went from 60 to 65.  Now that I'm 65, I'm on the downward side of that ladder and will begin my descent to my next big birthday, which will be 70.  That probably doesn't make sense to you, but it's how I have always thought of my age.  I'm either near the top or the bottom of a ladder.

For as many years as I can remember I have disliked having a birthday so close to Christmas.  My birthday seems to get wedged in just before Santa makes his appearance!  
This year Andy, Stacey and Benjamin are coming to the house on Friday and Stacey and Benjamin are making me a chocolate birthday cake.  Add a little ice cream to the cake and it's all good.

Truthfully, I don't feel any wiser than I did yesterday.  By being 65 I can now get a senior Metro card which discounts the fare.  Jeff and I don't go into D.C. often - or never - but I intend to get my senior card just the same.

For my birthday present to myself, I am going to the "salon" today to get my fingers and toes spruced up.  Who doesn't love sitting in swirling water while the chair massages your shoulders and back?  After that, perhaps a trip to the library to check out more books - you can never have enough books.

I hope you enjoy your day as much as I'm going to enjoy mine.  Yesterday was a gray day with lots of rain.  Today, the sun is shining bright and reminds me of the song from the movie Annie - the sun'll come out tomorrow, tomorrow.

P

2 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Enjoy your special day today...eat lots of cake...
    Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy the pampering today!! Have a very happy birthday!

    Love,
    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...