Sunday, December 21, 2014

Post Bassett Christmas

12/21/2014

"Christmas" has come and gone at the Bassett house.  On Friday, Jeff and I shopped, prepped and made the food that we were going to have on Saturday.  I, being the chief elf, finished wrapping up the last minute gifts and running the vacuum just one more time!

Andrew et al spent Friday night at the house and, as promised, Saturday morning breakfast was hot iced cinnamon rolls out of the oven.  The rolls are a bit hard on the diet (that is definitely an understatement!), but with a cup of coffee, yummy down to the last bite.  Benjamin wasn't sure about eating a cinnamon roll, he prefers Pop Tarts, but after downing his first one, he was all about eating a second one.  They could easily be habit forming.

Friday night after Andrew and family came to the house, we opened up a few gifts before bedtime.  Benjamin's big gift was wrapped in two large black trash bags - I simply didn't have enough paper or energy to try and wrap up an electronic keyboard.

Scott came over on Saturday and we finished up opening gifts and Jeff hurried to set up the stand for the keyboard, so Benjamin could get to the business of playing music.  In the afternoon, Scott's neighbors came for dinner and at best I would describe the atmosphere in the house as "controlled chaos".  The dishes that Jeff and I prepared are family favorites and everyone seemed to enjoy them.

Last week I had gone to my favorite "mart" store and bought this large plastic container filled with all sizes of plastic boxes and lids.  The plastic boxes are not of very high quality, but good enough to send food home to people and tell them to keep the containers.  

This morning after I finally woke up at 10:00, all that is left for me to do is empty the dishwasher, wash the tablecloth, make myself a cup of coffee and read a book!  While Jeff and I will be alone on Christmas, there is something sinfully peaceful knowing that my to do list is empty and I have days and days of doing nothing, while the rest of the world is still going crazy in stores, wrapping presents and addressing cards.  

So what will I do on Christmas?  I think I'll take myself off to see a movie and eat buttered popcorn!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...