Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Twas the Day Before Christmas

12/24/2014

It's Christmas Eve and years ago when the boys were young, this day was very hectic and exciting all at the same time.  Now - not so much.

Jeff and I celebrated Christmas last weekend, so there is no last minute baking to be done and no packages to wrap.  I could, I suppose, go to a store, any store and walk around and take in the last minute madness of gift buying.  Generally, this last minute thing is mostly men (sorry fellas) who can't thing of what to buy the little woman.

Jeff is spending the day with Scott working on the townhouse that Scott is remodeling.  Me?  Since it's a gray, rainy day, I'm going to stay inside and read.  My neighbor gave me a wonderful grownup coloring book for my birthday, so I will probably spend some time coloring today.  Who knows maybe I'll even take a nap!

While it doesn't feel like Christmas, I think that has more to do with my age than my non-existent plans.  I am, as everyone would agree, a recluse.  I like my own company and the quiet that being alone brings.  When my life is peaceful, I am less stressed and truly that's a good thing.

What will I do with myself tomorrow?  Hmm.  A movie and a bag of buttered popcorn perhaps.   

Our life journey goes through many evolutions.  We grow up, we have children, we work at our career.  Our children then grow up, get married and have children.  We retire from work, some of us sooner than we thought we would and have oodles of free time.  I'm currently in that free time part of my life.  No setting of the alarm clock or checking on the weather to see if it's going to snow.  I can, after working 40+ years and raising my family, feel justified in doing exactly what I damn well please.  This phase of my life is a good one.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.  



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...