Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Climate Issues?

 9/15/2020

I watched this morning, my usual one loop of news. If I watch more than one news show, at any point in the day, it's hard not to become depressed.

There are multiple hurricanes heading toward the Gulf of Mexico. One of them, I believe, has now been categorized as a storm. The difference between an actual hurricane versus a storm, is the strength of the wind. 

Research: Once a cyclone's winds kick up to 39 miles per hour and sustains that speed for 10 minutes, it becomes a tropical storm and the NHC gives it a name. If the cyclone keeps growing and sustains 74 mph winds, it graduates to being a hurricane. Aren't you glad that I do the researching for you, and found the answer to the question?

Okay, now we all agree that rain and wind, are going to come ashore. Between storm surge and very high winds, we thank you Sally.

I also did some research about having a concrete block house. Here's what I found:

To survive a direct hit from a strong tornado, you need thick re-enforced concrete. No conventional construction will withstand it.

As far as heavy masonry and concrete construction can survive a direct hit from even a severe hurricane. Knowing that, I would still prefer not to live in a cement house. There would be windows, of course. And, those windows would have to be covered by plywood.

Now, if it was up to me, and I knew that a large storm was coming through, then definitely use plywood. My difference would be that I would have each piece, marked for it's location. While it would still be a big task, at least you wouldn't have to stand around and try to find the right size window. See what a genius I am?

Um, I'd also be thinking that it was probably time to get out of dodge. Storm season - a full tank of gas, some non-perishable food, and perhaps a change of clothing. Obviously, also grab up the dogs. I'm so not leaving them behind to fend for themselves. 

I heard the news about the 13 year old grandson, was driving his grandmother out of the danger zone. The ground was so hot, that the tires actually melted. Sadly, neither did the young boy or his grandmother survive. But, for me, he needed to get his grandmother to somewhere safe. My heart is filled with sorrow for the family. But, I also have empathy for the family's loss.

Well, my friends that's as much as I can write today. Knowing none of these people, still makes my heart hurt.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...