Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Getting Shot Up!

 9/23/2020

In a word, here's what's going on - nothing. Perhaps, this is a good thing with all the craziness going on in the world.

Yesterday, Jeff and I went to the drug store to get our vaccine against Shingles. I had Shingles when I was a teenager, and it wasn't pretty! Other than the coach telling me to get out of the pool and to find something else to do for the duration of not only that class, but all the ones going forward.

I remember taking baths with baking soda. Perhaps because I was a teenager, and feeling awkward, I thought I was doomed to have these ugly blister spots forever. Happy to say, that the blisters went away, but I was still awkward!!

During my physical this week, it was recommended that Jeff and I both get a Shingles vaccine. We received the shot yesterday, and man oh man, do our arms hurt. You have probably figured out the answer. Yup, our arms hurt like the dickens. And, the shot has to be done twice. We go back in December, and get the shot for the second time. Can't wait.

I see the plastic surgeon tomorrow. She gave me three weeks to see what I could do about my weight. I've lost 5 pounds, which isn't going to earn me a gold medal or anything. But, what I do know is that for these three weeks, I have paid real attention to the amount of calories I consume in a day. Even when we went grocery shopping last weekend, Jeff would pick up a box of something or another, and read me the calories. I turned down a lot of different food.

Interesting to note, I'm actually not hungry during the day, but boy did I need help in the evening! I have a sweet tooth, actually a big sweet tooth, and I want some kind of dessert after dinner. I eat yogurt, which has low calories, but really isn't what I consider a sweet treat. And, since I have put all the candy (um chocolate candy to be precise), in the freezer downstairs, I would really have to want a piece of chocolate. I don't like going into the basement, so the bag of chocolate remains un- touched. This goes back to out of sight, out of mind. My saying would be changed ever so slightly - out of sight - but still having a big desire to eat chocolate. Perhaps, I should try hypnosis - you don't like chocolate. Who knows, It might be worth a try.

It's such a beautiful day, perhaps, I'll grab my rollator and took a few spins around the circle. I suppose I could try and do a loop without the rollator, but it's a possibility that I'll be all tuckered out, and need to be able to sit down. So far, when I do go out and about, I can do three loops. I should challenge myself, and do four loops. I'm sure the Olympic committee will be calling me soon, offering me a slot in the
"old fart" walking competition! I'd win hands down - NOT.

I've been putting things away in the house, so I think it's time to put little reminders on the appropriate places. I can't always remember where my sunglasses are, where is my purse. And, many other things. It's not the least bit fun when memory issues start. I can pretty much always watch a show, particularly a baseball game this afternoon. By evening, I will believe that I've never seen the game. Annoying stuff like that. 

One of the things that makes me sad, is the inability to type at 100 wpm, which was something I maintained all of my working years. Basically, my boss could dictate to me, and I could keep up with him. Sadly, I have started to begin touch typing, and an inability to find the special characters. I really have to look at the keyboard now. Typing was something that I was really good at. Mom said it was because my fingers were small. Was that the reason?

And, I know shorthand. Okay, I say know, but that might be overstating what I can do. But, while watching a tv show, I sometimes, but not always, remember how to write down certain words. Over the course of our marriage, Jeff knows, that if there is a double line under a word, it means you use UPPER case letters. And, if there is an "X" on a piece of mail, etc., it means it's okay to shred. Research, one of my favorite things to do, indicated that shorthand goes back as far as the 1800's. I think the ability to write shorthand is or has, become a lost skill. See below:

 shorthand - Wiktionary

I see the clock moving toward 11:00, and Ada comes today. You know what that means. I do some necessary "tidying" up before she comes. This is something that Jeff doesn't understand, but I'm pretty sure that more women, than just me, do the same thing.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...