Friday, April 15, 2016

Mister Sam

4/15/2016

I think most, if not all of you, already know about our little Westie - Sam.  Sam is 15 and we've had him for seven years when we adopted him from Westie Rescue.  Sam is a very vocal little dog and when he wants something, isn't too proud to tell you all about it!

Last night while we were watching television, Sam was asleep in my lap.  Suddenly, he began to make all sorts of odd noises, his body went limp and he involuntarily peed on me.  Jeff came over and at first glance, was sure that Sam had passed away.

Jeff picked him up and cuddled him and then put him on the floor.  And, he didn't move.  Jeff picked him up again and started talking to Sam.  They went outside and for whatever reason, Sam came back to life.  Did he have a stroke?  Apparently, dogs can.

Here's what I know for sure.  Sam's limp body was a real eye opener for me.  I know he's an old dog.  I know he's an annoying dog (i.e., thinks my basement floor is his bathroom - sigh).  I know he's a faithful dog and as the years have gone by, has become a lovely dog.  After all, we're supposed to love somebody or some dog even with all their warts (see basement above).

Seeing Sam almost lifeless tore me up inside.  I know that "that" day is coming, and I thought I'd be able to handle it.  But, after yesterday, know that as irritating as Sam can be, Jeff and I have come to love this little scrappy pile of white fur.  

This morning, happily Sam is up and bouncing around, eager to eat and play with his toys.  While I was reading, he climbed up into my lap and both he and I were at peace.

And one of my chores this morning is to go to the basement for - yup you guessed it - little deposits on the plastic runners!  Even with all that, I still love this guy.

P


Image result for picture of a westie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...