Monday, April 11, 2016

The Tax Man Cometh!

4/11/2016

While not nearly as much fun as counting the days to Christmas, this week the countdown is for the 15th, when you have to file your taxes.

In the "old" days, Jeff and I always had somebody prepare our tax forms.  TurboTax wasn't yet invented, and it was easier to let a pro take care of this annoying but required paperwork.  There was also a time when if you could provide receipts showing sales tax, you could use the actual dollar amount, rather than the standard deduction.  I, wasn't proud, so it never bothered me to pick up receipts off the floor at stores.  Hey, a nickel here and a nickel there makes a dime.

For many years now, Jeff has done our taxes with the help of TurboTax.  You plug in the numbers, income, mortgage interest, and stuff like that.  Over the years, the interest on the mortgage of the house is almost all there is to deduct from your income.

So once the numbers are put into the program, you are given the number of your refund, hopefully.  Or, the amount you owe to either the Feds or the State.  Jeff keys in everything, we cross our fingers, and hope for the best.  Obviously, we'd rather have refunds, even if they're small, but sometimes end up owing.  

The taxes are now done for another year.  And, unlike in years past, tax returns are provided to the Feds and State electronically.  I suppose there is still a rush in the post office on the 15th to get your tax returns in the mail.

P


Image result for picture of 1040 form

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...