Friday, February 7, 2020

Books

2/7/2020

It's not new news (boy, that sounds odd!), but I have had most of my life, reading books. Or, as Jeff would describe it, scanning books. You know people who can walk and chew gum at the same time (um, perhaps there is no such person). Jeff and I will watch some television shows together. And, while doing so, I can "read" for a few minutes, while also being mostly engaged in the show.

One of my favorite gifts is a Little Golden Book. Little Golden Books got their start in 1942, and cost a quarter. One of my favorite book is "The Poky Little Puppy". Research shows that since 1942, Two Billion books have been sold! Before bedtime, when I was young, my Dad would read a Golden Book to me. I believe that in doing so, he started me down the path to reading, and reading......

Checking out these books on Ebay, definitely shows that you can't buy any book for a quarter. You can, however, buy a book lot of 580 books, for the mere price of $580.00. I like these books, and would like to have more, but, from one seller each of his books cost $24.50! I don't want any of these special books priced at $24.50.

At this moment, I have books on shelves, books by my chair and books in a rolling cart. In other words, it's obvious that I own books. I would really like to give a book I've read to somebody else to read. Trouble is, I generally can't find anybody who wants my books. I am donating to Purple Heart this week, an entire box of books. This means, that at some point in time, somebody will buy one of these books, and let the world go by.

I have one book "Ladies of the Club", which is a massive book, You could probably do bodily harm if you hurled the book at someone. Friends have borrowed the book, and returned it to me, within days. Which means, they weren't into the story. I understand. Break the book down, at the beginning goes like this:   Ladies of the Club" is a novel,  about a group of women in the fictional town of Waynesboro, Ohio, who begin a woman's literary club, which evolves through the years into a significant community service organization in the town. The book is large, 1,176 pages to be exact. Here's what I know about this particular book is: I will never lend it anyone and certainly won't be donating it.

After blogging, I will head to my chair to continue reading one of my library books. I actually prefer to buy a book that doesn't have a due date for return. I buy my books from Amazon (duh), and always select a used copy, which can, for some books, be as low as $1.81! Who can beat that?

My calendar for this day says: For a most pleasant experience, stand barefoot in that warm spot where your dog was just sleeping. How true.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...