Sunday, February 9, 2020

Feeling Good About Me!

2/9/2020

As you know, I've been "dieting" for a year now. High protein, small portions, and things like that. I'm proud to say that this form of dieting has worked wonders for me! I've lost over 40 pounds, and now my wardrobe problem is finding clothes that aren't too big. Hence, my donation of multiple bags of clothing. I believe that if I have a back-up plan, like larger sized clothes, it might be easy to put on a pound or two. And, trust me I don't want that to happen.

Last night while poking around at television shows, I happened upon a show about a "600 pound man". Curious, I checked in. I felt bad for this man, who had been on the heavy side for most of his life. And, I know from experience, that it's very easy to excuse a pound or two - or in his case - 600 pounds. At that weight, this poor man could hardly move, and for the most part didn't. Walking was difficult and painful for him. When he took a shower, his wife had to wash underneath the rolls of fat. Mind you, the wife was at a normal size.

He finally went to see a bariatric surgeon, who put him on an actual diet. The diet was hard for this man, as it is for all of us. He finally got down to 400+ pounds and then had surgery. The surgeon was going to do a lap gastric sleeve operation. That is the kind of surgery that I had. And, here's what happens. While initially, you can't eat very much food, but over time that "reduced" sleeve can expand. That's what happened to me. Five pounds no biggie, neither did a 10 pound gain bother me much. Then, things started to get out of control. Since my surgery in 2010, I unfortunately gained 66 pounds! And, that's not good. So I just kept buying bigger and bigger sized clothing. But, it's hard to hide your expanding body. Once, I had to start buying 4x clothing, I knew that I had to do something to lose weight. 

Checking the statistics, a 600 pound man eats approximately 7,000 calories a day. That's a lot of food. And, most of that food was more or less fast food. The standard for women is 2,000 calories a day. For a man, it's 2,500 pounds. 

I haven't kept track, nor do I intend to, count my calories. What I do though, is weigh twice a day. I know over-kill, but very important to me. The high protein diet has worked well for me. I eat my usual breakfast - toast and coffee. Lunch is something small, and a dinner, where I try to leave something on the plate. I haven't lost my sweet tooth, so sometime during the evening, I eat my "Frostie Flakes" with a sliced banana. How many calories do I consume in a day? I have no idea. What I do know is that I'm steadily either maintaining my present weight, or lose a pound or two in a week. At this moment, I am 9 pounds away from my first goal. And, there are no tricky holidays coming up. I really had to be on my best behavior during Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I hope the 600 man loses enough weight to make him feel good about himself, and then at least maintain the weight loss.

Here's one way to get 7,000 calories eaten in a day:

 
Image result for what does 7,000 calories look like


P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...