Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Let's talk

7/21/2020

Yesterday, I wrote about communication. Today, I want to write about actual talking.

In the "old" days, the telephone book had a section showing the types of phones you could buy: princess phones, and wall phones. The princess phone was my favorite - the downside of this phone was when you were dialing a number, the phone would move allover the place. But, as a teenager, this particular problem didn't bother me.

When we moved to Illinois in let's say 1964, party lines existed. You would go to use the phone, and find other people talking. Back then, as well as today, I generally don't make calls. I have no reasonable explanation. Oh, if I had to think of one, I'm always sure (and this is not the case, but an excuse), that I'm calling at a bad or inconvenient time. And, I find that my friends actually enjoy hearing from me.

Bulky cellphones were next, and they were not only big, but heavy. Eventually, current cellphones were created, and it seemed like everyone on the planet had one. For me, I had an Apple phone, but one of the dogs, when they were puppies, took said phone out into the yard and basically destroyed it.

And, today mostly because of the damned virus, we meet and talk with family, friends and doctors using Zoom. I don't know much about this new technology. I leave all the getting started, etc., up to Jeff. I worry that Christmas this year will have to be via Zoom. You know, you hole up your present, and then I'll show you mine! Doing it this way, will take most of the joy away from being together. Fingers crossed that next year, we'll be able to return to our normal (whatever that is) lives.

But, for the moment, wash your hands, wear a mask and keep your distance from each other. Stay safe.

P




 

1 comment:

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...