Thursday, November 29, 2012

Counting Down

11/29/2012

Counting Down

In case you haven't been paying attention to the seasonal blitz, you've got about 27 days or so to go before calm will be restored to stores as well as shoppers.

Right now we are in the beginning of the shopping frenzy and you have to think twice about entering a store or approaching a check out line.  This will only get worse once the men start their shopping on the 24th!  

I am not a mall rat and you won't find me browsing the aisles looking at those beautifully packaged pre-boxed gifts that mostly nobody wants or needs.  I, for instance, do not want a machine that makes smores, or one that turns water fizzy.  

Nope you'll find me throughout the day browsing on my computer.  I'm looking for unique, perhaps a one-of-a-kind gift for my friends and family.  I try and keep lists throughout the year when I hear someone talk about a want or need.  

Right now my favorite person to buy for is Ben - so apologies to the rest of my family.  Ben is at the age of wonder and awe.  Every toy that he opens will result in real emotions of joy and will be the best one EVER.  A small child and Christmas - it just doesn't get better than that.

Buying for women is easier than men.  Sorry guys it's just the facts.  Women like pretty things (decorative pieces of glass come to mind for me).  As the only woman in my house I know that my lists over the years have been considered silly and impractical.  I deny that they're silly but impractical I'll give you.  But you did ask what I want and I told you.  I am not above buying my own gifts and giving them to others to wrap and give to me.  In that scenario it's a win-win for everyone.

I am sorry that I don't want a Tim Allen he-man drill or saw and there is nothing in the tool section at Sears that interests me.  I leave Jeff to buying the manly products for the boys because I'm clueless about tools and intend to stay that way.

As much as I love the hunt for the right gift, I downright hate wrapping.  I don't even make much of an attempt to try and make packages pretty.  Nope, I'm a paper (never cut straight by the way), lots of tape, no bows or ribbons, kind of gal.  Oh I can do some stuff with that curly ribbon or a stick-on bow but that is the absolute extent of my gift wrapping ability.  I don't have coordinating paper under my tree, I tend to go for quantity rather than quality.  All that paper is either going up the fireplace or into the garbage so for me cheaper is better.  I learned years ago that boys - at least mine - don't need or want ribbons and bows.  These things are merely deterrents to what's inside.  Over the years I have saved a bundle by not buying ribbons and bows.  Sometimes I buy those decorative boxes, tape them shut and voila, the gift is wrapped.  If it's getting close to Christmas and I'm completely burned out by wrapping, my sons will get the shipping box the gift came in.  No paper, no tag.  Just a resealed box with their name written on it in magic marker.  The boys are used to this and don't expect anything to change from year to year.  Disclaimer here: I do not, however, give plain brown boxes to my friends and female relatives and I even attempt to cut the paper straight!

Here's a deal for you.  I'll shop if you'll wrap!

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...