Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pecan Pie

11/27/2012

Pecan Pie

You're probably wondering what's the problem with pecan pie.  I'm the problem - I love it.  Alcoholics like to drink and sugarholics like to eat sugar.  That would be me.  Jeff and I are like Jack Spratt and his wife - we both like different food groups, neither of which are very healthy.  Jeff goes straight for salt and you guessed it - I love sugar.  I'm not even a very selective sugar eater - I'll eat dollar store candy and enjoy it just as much as a bite of something costing ten times as much.

Okay now that I've established my weakness, this is where the stupid pecan pie comes in.  For Thanksgiving and since it was just going to be the two of us - and it's a holiday so we deserve a treat - we bought a rather small pecan pie.  This was one you didn't even have to cook it - just defrost it and get it to room temperature and grab a fork.

On Thanksgiving we both had a small piece of pie after dinner but pecan pie is rich and didn't sit so well with Jeff.  I, on the other hand, was absolutely fine with all that sugar.  Before going to bed, I put the pie back in it's box but didn't take it off the counter.  That was mistake number one.  The next morning while Jeff slept in, I came downstairs to write to all of you good folks and while my coffee was heating, the pie sat on the corner and called to me.  What's one, maybe two bites going to hurt. An actual piece has something like 480 calories and a bite has oh I don't know how many calories but a whole bunch less.  What could it hurt?  

The bite(s) of pie and coffee even at the crack of dawn was delicious.  Second mistake was leaving a fork near the box.  Several cups of coffee later during the day included several more bites of pie.  Yummy every time.  By the time Friday and Saturday went by I had to sadly acknowledge that I had nibbled my way through half the pie and likely consumed twice the calories that I would have had if I just ate a slice and then left the stupid pie alone.

Sunday, there was still pie, a fork and of course coffee.  I convinced myself that I would have one more bite and then would go cold turkey.  No more pie.  I would wait for it to mold first.  Yeah that good intention lasted about a New York minute before I decided to take another bite, but it was the last one.  Absolutely. 

When I came home from work on Monday that pie was still mocking me from the counter and I pulled it out of it's box and regretted how much pie I had eaten over the last few days.  It was time to take action.  I took the pie over to the kitchen sink and just before I gave it the heave-ho into the disposer had just one more bite for old times sake.  The pie is gone - finally.  What I should have done is on Friday morning instead of having a sugary breakfast should have dumped the pie right then and there because I knew with 100% certainty that the showdown would be between me and the pie.  And I also knew the pie would win - it always does!

Here's to a healthier and less sugary Tuesday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...