Saturday, November 24, 2012

Parents and The Things They Do and Say

11/24/2012


Parents and The Things They Do and Say

Growing up my parents, and yours, had the best of intentions when they gave us advice or forced us to do something we didn't want to do.  I'm sure you have your own list; but here's mine:

If we swallowed our gum our insides would stick together 

If we swallowed watermelon seeds, we'd grow a watermelon

Always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident (I am positive that the state of your underwear is the last thing on a doctor or EMT's mind)

No swimming (and really all we ever did was wade) in the water for an hour after eating

If you pout your face might freeze (since I was a pouter this caused me a great deal of concern)

Made us swallow Castor Oil every morning when we lived in France (super gross)

Gave us a spoonful of Red Roses (whiskey) and honey for our cough (trust me it cured everything)

Carry a quarter in your purse when you're out on a date (that advice no longer applies because everyone has a phone - and you'd be hard pressed to find a pay phone these days)

In the 60's Dad said we couldn't drink Pepsi because he didn't think young (the commercial at the time was about young people drinking Pepsi).  I believed him.

Before going to my first football game in high school, Dad told me that I would have to stand the whole time (and I believed him).

Dad said he would live forever (and I wish I hadn't believed him). 

Ladies never smoke, drink or chew gum (the gum part because Mother said you would look like a cow chewing it's cud)

If you read in the dark you'll go blind

If you're not good Santa won't come (how many times did you hear that growing up?)

From Dad - never pass a car unless you can make it through the next light.  (It was a Dad thing, he thought it was uncool to pull up beside the car you just passed)

This one is from me to you - never lick the mixer's beater while the mixer is plugged in!

I'm sure that if you polled my sons I'm pretty sure that they would say I said some of these same things to them.  As parents, they will likely repeat what they've been told even though many of these things no longer apply (except the beater part - that's still a "current" fact)!

I think we should tell our children to be good to people; know that their actions have consequences and that we as parents love them regardless of their actions; and that tomorrow is guaranteed to no one so live fully every day.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...