Thursday, November 15, 2012

Military Life

11/15/2012

Military Life

I was a military brat until Dad retired when I was about 15.  Dad was an NCO (means not an officer) and he spent 30 years saying his "yes and no sirs" with patience.  Over the course of his career we lived in England, France, Kansas and California.  And it isn't just the military person who is ranked - the whole family is.

When we lived in military housing there was an invisible dividing line between housing of the NCOs and officers.  If you're in the military you know this, understand and respect it.  It's the military way.  Oh we were allowed to be friends with officers' children they just didn't come to our house.  We went to theirs - always.

If, while living on a base, you really misbehaved there were two consequences to be faced.  Obviously, one was at home but the other was far worse -your parent might be on the receiving end of harsh criticism.  You behaved.

One of my favorite shows to watch is Army Wives.  There is one glaring problem with the show and that is the intermingling of the ranks.  It's not realistic and I wish the producers would recognize this and fix it for next season.  The base commander's wife does not invite a private's wife to her house for tea and socialization on a regular basis.  There might be exceptions to this for a one off kind of affair; but, as a friend don't think so.

During my Dad's career I don't believe my Mother ever had a friend whose husband was an officer.  Truly there was little opportunity to meet.  First, there was that invisible line to be recognized.  Secondly, there are two clubs on a base - one for the NCOs and one for the officers.  NCOs were not allowed in the officers' club.  I can't speak for the other way around.  

I suppose ratings (ya think?) play into the television show and maybe keeping the wives separate wouldn't make for a good story.  I don't know.  All I do know is that it gives non-military people an unrealistic view of what it's really like on a base.

I don't have high hopes for next season to play out differently than before.  I just wish it would.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...