Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving

11/22/2012

Happy Thanksgiving

What a glorious day it is.  Got to sleep in even though my eyeballs popped open promptly at 5:00 this morning.  It's a day filled with family, friends and good food and because it's a holiday some justification for overeating!

The paper this morning is heavy and filled with advertisements for Black Friday.  I don't participate in Black Friday sales but I do like flipping through the pages and pages of products that I'm glad I don't want!  I have never stood in line in the middle of the night to buy something - I don't care how good the deal is.  Having said that, I might and likely will go on line at some point today and begin my shopping in earnest.

Satellite radio is now playing holiday music on certain stations and it's a nice break from my usual playlist of oldies.  When Ben visits I'm trying to teach him the words to Jingle Bells and that's not going so well.  Maybe he just doesn't like to hear me sing - I'm not exactly known for my marvelous singing voice!

My preparations for today are pretty simple.  Small turkey breast (no clean-up or carcass), spuds (necessity), veggies (because you should), cole slaw and a small pecan pie (because it's a holiday).  That's it.  The boys are scattered in different directions today so it's just going to be Jeff and I at the table.  Probably be able to sneak in a nap today.  There is also some discussion about going to see a movie either "Flight" or "Lincoln" before or after our meal.  Since we have 4 days off maybe we'll really go outside the box and see both!

Confession time.  Last night I ruined carrot pineapple salad which is a particular favorite of mine.  If you're not familiar with this delicacy it's ridiculously easy and yet I managed to screw it up after 40 some years of fixing it.  Orange jello, crushed pineapple and shredded carrots.  I made the jello and then forgot to go back and check to see if it was at the wiggly stage to add the carrots and pineapple.  By the time I remembered I had jello long past the setting up phase.  I stirred up the jello and added the other ingredients and sort of mushed them all together.  It doesn't look too good but technically it should taste the same, at least that's what I'm hoping for.  Note to self for next time - set a timer!

Be thankful today.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...