Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Coloring and Relaxing

11/28/2012

Coloring and Relaxing

This may sound a bit like one over the Cuckoo's Nest; but I color and it's relaxing. Don't knock it until you've tried it.  I'm not talking about using crayons and coloring books found in most stores and clearly designed for children.  They now make very intricate and beautiful coloring books for people who can stay within the lines (that's called an adult).  And forget crayons and the regular markers.  There are markers out there that cost hundreds of dollars for a set and if you color or draw they are worth it.  Of course you know that I am not going to pay retail if I don't have to.  Trusty Ebay provided me with a small selection of fancy markers at a much smaller price.  

One of my books is on a waxy paper and is reproductions of Tiffany's work.  The finished project, held up in a window, is beautiful and takes more than 10 minutes to finish.  It takes days.  I have other books filled with pages and pages of beautiful garden and floral scenes.  With a few exceptions I have no place or need for my finished work, so when the folder fills up a few go to the landfill.  Basically - color and toss.

There is also an on line paint by number program by Segmation that is very enjoyable to me.  You get a paint pallette and your cursor becomes your brush.  With a computer paint program you never stray out of the line, don't have to wash your brush and can change colors at will.  I suppose you could print out the finished product but I don't bother with all that. New patterns are added each month and I buy depending on the subject matter.  Once you're finished, you can clear the pattern and complete it again.  I consider my "painting" a brain exerciser because I don't just begin painting anywhere - no I'm very systematic.  First you try and find all the 1's, 2's, etc.  Since finding all of the numbers before moving on is harder than you think, I think it's good for my brain.

Perhaps I need more peace and relaxation in my life than others.  And that may be the reason that both of these outlets are fun for me.  It's likely that kick boxing or a punching bag might get me the same results, but I'm going to pass on either of those.

Since I have to spend "x" time before my SAD light each morning, once I'm finished with the blog I open up my computer program and paint for 20 minutes or so before it's time to leave for work.   What a great way to start each day.

Have a colorful Wednesday.

P




No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...