Thursday, November 8, 2012

Campaign Money

11/8/2012

Campaign Money

Folks this one is going to be short because one sentence will tell you everything.  According to the paper this morning a billion (that's with a B) was spent on campaigning this election season.  And, of course after spending boat loads of money only one candidate comes out the victor.  The loser and his party just have empty coffers.  Again, according to the paper, 80 million dollars was spent for one seat just in Virginia!  That boggles the imagination. Hint to campaign mangers - I hope the bulk of the money was spent on travel or something because the ads on television just weren't that good.  If they spent that kind of money in 2012 just imagine how much more they are likely to spend in the next election.

All I can think of this morning while drinking my coffee is how much good a BILLION dollars could do for people.  Let's put aside the idea of putting any of that money towards the national debt.  No in this equation I just want to think about people. There are people in need - in America - right now.

Last night I watched a Chopped episode that had four chefs who work for organizations that feed either adults or children (or both) that otherwise wouldn't eat at all.  The winner was the chef from D.C. who feeds hungry children every day.  The chef from New Orleans prepares 24,000 meals a week (and has them delivered) to senior citizens so that they have one hot meal a day.  Just thinking about that makes me sad.

A billion dollars could have done so much for so many.  I have never been hungry and neither have my children for which I'm grateful.  We've been blessed.  And it's very easy to forget that in your city are people, including children, who are in need.  I feel the sorriest for the children who have no control over their lives and perhaps have never known anything but poverty and hunger.

After spending that kind of money it is my fervent hope that in 2013 the people in power in Washington will work together and fix something - anything. 

Okay maybe this wasn't as short as I was planning on, but I'm climbing off my soapbox now.  There was just something about that number in the paper this morning that set me off.

Happy Thursday.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...