Monday, November 5, 2012

Hot and Cold

11/5/2012

Hot and Cold

I've reached a certain age and maybe you have too, where my body temperature swings erratically from hot to cold.  I'm seldom just right.  I feel like someof those famous porridge bowls - too hot and too cold.  Yeah I know all about the technical reasons why women get like this but the medical reasons are just plain boring.  The reality is how annoying this condition actually is.  Trust me when I tell you that I don't suffer in silence - oh no, Jeff knows exactly how I feel at any given moment.  I have run the air conditioning when everybody else is huddled inside a blanket and likewise I have shivered through fairly mild evenings.

It is 40 degrees outside but the temperature in the bedroom is way less than that.  My window is wide open and I even have a window fan.  Jeff stays comfy underneath a blanket, comforter and the snuggling efforts of two dogs.  I, on the other hand, spend the entire night - feet in - feet out.  Blanket on, blanket off.  It is exhausting!  

At work I had a sweater hanging on the back of my chair for 12 years - never needed washing - never worn.  Just a reminder to myself that I MIGHT get cold.  All that changed about a year ago and some of it had to do the weight loss - fat is very insulating.  I have replaced my old sweater with a new one that is much thicker and have a desk heater at the ready.  In the other corner of my desk I also have a fan, so I'm pretty much covered either way.

I happen to believe that there is enough other stuff happening to our bodies as we age that we shouldn't have to contend with a wonky thermostat.  By running multiple cooling or heating devices in your cubicle through the year gives everybody a pretty good idea of what you're going through.  Even the men get it they just don't use the "M" word.  Menopause has not yet come out of the dark ages in terms of polite social conversation, unless it's just women all of a certain age!

So I'll travel to work this morning with a light jacket on which is more for appearances than anything else.  When I don't wear a jacket on a cool morning I get the funniest stares from folks as I walk across the parking lot.  In actuality, it's such a short distance from the car to the building why do I have to bother with a jacket?  Probably because I don't want to stick out like a sore thumb among those who are bundled up underneath coats and gloves.

Hard to say which one of my desk accessories I'll be using today.  Either way I'm good - fan is on the left and the heater's on the right.  Younger women tend to chuckle at us old broads but that's just because they're not here yet!

Have a great Monday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...