Sunday, November 17, 2013

I'm Back

11/17/2013

You may have noticed my absence yesterday - and then again maybe not!  In any event I have a good excuse, or at least I think so.  Friday afternoon I packed up some overnight gear so that I could have a sleepover with Benjamin.  See I told you it was a good excuse.  Also in my bag, and very much like a modern Mary Poppins, I added: cocoa mix, marshmallows, a gingerbread house kit, popcorn and a yummy orange cake mix plus the icing and some candy sprinkles for the top.  

On our way to Benjamin's house we made our mandatory stop at McDonald's to get a happy meal with a boy toy and a chicken sandwich for me.  

Early Friday evening Benjamin and I took the gingerbread house out of the box and luckily it was already assembled.  Even so getting the "snow" on the house and adding the various candies and decorations to the gingerbread men was a bit challenging for me.  Remember my artistic skill set begins and stops with stick figures!  Luckily Stacey and Andrew had some time before their movie started, so Stacey gave Benjamin and I some much needed assistance.  

Jeff left to come home and Stacey and Andrew left to see a movie.  As for Benjamin and I we were "gingerbreaded" out so we popped popcorn and watched the movie The Apple Dumpling Gang.  A long (and I do mean long) time ago Jeff and I watched this movie with three little boys over and over again.  Now there is a new generation who has fallen in love with these Disney feel good movies and I'm happy to watch them with Benjamin, which I did, more than once!

When it was bedtime it finally occurred to me that I didn't bring my cellphone, simply because I never use it so I never think about bringing it along.  I felt really comfortable with Andrew's built-in alarm system - Zoey and Libby, their two dogs.  Benjamin and I went to bed and read the required number of books as far as he was concerned.  Sleep came easily for me, and sometime later I was woken up by the alarm systems when Andrew and Stacey came home.  You do feel very secure knowing that the dogs are on duty and would certainly let you know if somebody was entering the house.  Since the dogs don't run on electricity or batteries, they are always ready to protect the people in the house.

Saturday morning Benjamin and I had pop-tarts and Frosted Flakes cereal.  Super nutritious if you don't mind an overdose of sugar!  While Benjamin was catching up on a Scooby Do movie, I made the orange cake and it was a big hit later in the day with everyone. There was a lot of cake leftover but I left it behind, I don't need it tempting me until it's all gone.

Once home, Jeff and I watched Shark Tank which is a show that we really enjoy.  Some of the things or gadgets people are trying to get the sharks to finance are really way out there.  And yet occasionally somebody brings an idea to the table and you're left sitting on the sofa wondering why you didn't think of that.  Of course we all know that in order to succeed, you must try.  It's really that simple in theory anyway.

Today Jeff is working because with the contracting company he now works for Sunday's are a required workday for him.  Supposedly he can have a day off in the middle of the week, but most of the time he just takes a few hours here and there.  

As for me, I'm doing laundry and then I'm going to retire to the sofa with this week's TV Guide.  On Sunday I always make sure that I get the Tivo properly set up for the shows I want to watch in the coming week.  I don't just casually watch tv, for me it's serious business.  I mark up the guide and then try and arrange television shows so that I don't get a conflict.  I know you're shaking your head now but it's what I do on Sundays to ensure that I record those must sees for the week. I guess you could say that I'm easily amused and on some level that's a very good thing.

It's rather gray out but not cold.  The bit of rain we had yesterday encouraged more leaves to fall so leaf pick-up is definitely on the agenda for later today.

I hope you have a great Sunday and that your favorite football team wins today.

P





2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had fun with Ben. I have some book suggestions: Dogtripping by David rosenfelt, The Summer House by Alice Thomas Ellis, Ten Trees and a Truffle Dog by Jamie Ivey, E.B. White on dogs by Martha White and Longbourn by Jo Baker
    Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the book recommendations. You can never have too many books on your "must read" list! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...