Saturday, November 23, 2013

Volunteering

11/23/2013

I have just returned from volunteer orientation at the local Methodist Retirement facility.  The orientation was 2 hours long and included standing up and having your clothing critiqued for suitability - I passed).  We also took turns pushing someone in a wheelchair which included practicing speaking to the resident, complimenting them on their outfit, etc.  I passed the wheelchair test also.

We were also taken to see the volunteer offices where we will check in/out each time we are working.  Out of the say 30 or so people at the orientation, there were only about 4 of us that weren't junior or high school students.  

While you don't want to think of yourself as older, or even getting older, being around so many very young people will certainly make you feel your age.  I suppose to teenagers people my age, for instance, must look really old!  I know I felt that way when I was their age.  Even if I could I would never want to go back to being a teenager or young adult again.  By the time you get to be my age you have gained so much wisdom, and you can't put a price on that.

The ladies are picking me up shortly and we are going to spend the day at a local crafts fair.  I have very little money to spend, but thankfully it doesn't cost anything to look!  It's a bit chilly here today so I have taken my winter coat out of the closet and will put it into service today.

I hope you are enjoying your Saturday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...