Monday, November 11, 2013

Sweatshirts

11/11/2013

I know that as you read the title of today's blog, you are probably scratching your head and probably thinking I have lost my mind.  Who writes about sweatshirts you're asking yourself?  I do because I spent more time yesterday than I would have thought possible trying to buy a sweatshirt.

What kind of sweatshirt?  A sweatshirt reminiscent of the kind I wore as a teenager.  You know a pullover with some kind of ribbing on the cuffs and hem.  Well guess what folks?  Oh and the other criteria? Cost.  I am just not going to spend upwards of $25.00 for a sweatshirt - just doesn't seem to make good sense.  The other thing that I don't want is decoration of any kind.  Nope, just a plain sweatshirt preferably in a standard, go with anything, color - white (though that's hard to keep clean), gray or blue.

Since I have mega amounts of time on my hands, I began my search for a sweatshirt online looking at what I figured would be stores who would have sweatshirts, such as KMart, WalMart, Target, etc.  When I started searching I envisioned finding multiples of said sweatshirts in lots of stores.  This was not the case I assure you.  What I did find was sweatshirts that were either decorated or fleece lined.  For sure I didn't want a fleece lined anything - too hot.

Frustrated, I returned to my old stomping grounds, Ebay and found plenty of sweatshirts, all with some kind of decoration and/or message on the front.  Ick.  Nope, not going to happen.  I don't own and likely never will own, a decorated shirt/sweater, etc.  I don't like them.

When I went in search for a sweatshirt at some of the higher end retailers, I did find what I was looking for but the price seemed to be much too high for something I am intending to wear around the house and yard and likely be unable to keep clean.

I finally found an acceptable, and reasonably priced sweatshirt (that's how it's described, but is not like any sweatshirt I have ever owned) and put in my order.  If, and that's a big if, I like either of these "sweatshirts" when they arrive, I may turn right around and order two more.  It seems to me that if you hesitate about buying something you like, that item may not be around in the future.

Older women, and men too, are no longer driving the train as far as retailers go.  Let's face it folks, we are no longer "in".  Retailers know that it's the younger generation that spends a lot of money and they market to them.  It's not that people in my age bracket don't spend, we do and most of us have money to spend, but manufacturers definitely target younger people and they always have.  I had my day where all the clothes, shoes and music was geared toward my age group, so I don't begrudge the retailers moving away from me.  I even understand it.  But could they just leave some things alone?  Like a plain vanilla sweatshirt, I promise I'll buy more than one!

Happy Veteran's Day everyone.

P

2 comments:

  1. You want to have some more fun. Try looking up Mother of the Bride dresses online and look at all the 20 year olds showing off the latest dresses in size 4. Come on! We are talking mother of the bride, not a prom dress, not a long dress and something with sleeves...
    Really frustrating...

    Love Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember trying to find a suitable dress for both Scott and Andy's wedding. It was a chore. I finally bought a dress on line for Andy's wedding that was really quite nice - and it has sleeves! Why is everything centered around the young?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...