Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Thanksgiving and Food

11/20/2013

Just in case you've been living under a rock, next week is Thanksgiving where we all eat too much and for some of us are subjected to too much football.  I have fixed the what to watch dilemma on TV for Wednesday and  Thursday by recording a show called "Farm Kings".  There will be a marathon on those days and I'm recording the entire two days and keeping my fingers crossed that this show will be "my cup of tea".  I'll keep you posted.

Last weekend Stacey and I talked about Thanksgiving, which will be at Stacey and Andy's new house.  While we were talking about who brings what on Thursday, Andy had three dishes that he wanted me to be sure and bring.  He wants Pretzel Salad, Corn Casserole and the old stand-by Green Bean Casserole.

So if you've got a minute I'll share the recipes, with the exception of the Green Bean dish because I think everybody in the world knows how to make that.  In fact I believe you can even buy that dish frozen.

Pretzel Salad:
Great pan and preheat oven to 350.

Ingredients:
1 cup broken pretzels
1 stick butter
1/2 cup sugar

1 8oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar

1 can crushed pineapple (drained)
1 Tbls. cornstarch

Melt butter and sugar and pour over the pretzels. Put the dish in the oven and cook for 10 minutes and then cool.  Mix 1 pkg. dream whip ( you can tell how old this recipe is).  These days I just buy Cool Whip and save myself a step.

Mix the cream cheese with the 1/2 cup sugar and then add the Cool Whip and spread over the pretzel layer.

Drain liquid from the pineapple and mix with the cornstarch. Cook until thick. Mix the pineapple into this mixture and cool.

Spread over cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate 2 hours

Corn Casserole:

Ingredients:
3/4 of a stick of butter - melted
1 can cream corn
1 can whole corn, undrained
8 oz. sour cream
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix

Stir everything together adding the corn muffin mix last. Pour into greased 9x9 pan at 350 for about 1 hour (until lightly browned). Let it stand 15 minutes before serving

So there you have it.  I promise you that these two dishes are really good.  I have never made what I call "so-so" food.  If I'm going to make something, I want it to be tasty and something that the boys will ask for over and over again.

All that's left for me to do is make my grocery list making sure to get all the required ingredients. If you make Pretzel Salad plan on getting some turned up noses because it sounds a bit silly to have a pretzel salad, but I assure you it will only take one bite to change their minds.

Happy Wednesday.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...