Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandreader

11/18/2013

I went for training today so that I could become a Grandreader to a second grader.  The training took an hour and while it's only second grade, I felt somewhat intimidated with the lesson plans we went through.  I'm sure that once I actually go to the school on Thursday and get a lesson under my belt, so to speak, I'll be fine.  I may be scared, for lack of a better word, but in the big picture I know that my working one-on-one with a child will be beneficial for both of us and will be super rewarding.

One of the unexpected benefits of volunteering at the school is that the school I will be going to has a large number of volunteers, and I am sure I will enjoy meeting other people.  The volunteering both at the school and at the Methodist home will get me out of the house and involved with people.  This will be a very good thing.

I brought home with me a portion of two of the lessons that I will be starting with on Thursday.   I have always been an avid reader and sincerely hope that I will be able to make reading fun for a child.  I won't feel comfortable about what I've signed up for, until I actually do it. 

All changes begin with baby steps and I'm quite proud of myself for taking that first baby step.

It's a windy Monday here and while Jeff and I picked up leaves yesterday and filled two large recycle bags, you'd never know we did anything!  Guess we'll be raking again today, tomorrow, etc.

Have a great Monday.

Quote for the day:

We cannot direct the wind but we can adjust the sails.” - Dolly Parton

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...