Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Fancy Shoes

12/24/2013

I, like pretty much everybody else, knows the names of some of the high end shoe designers.  When I think of high end shoe designers, Christian Louboutin immediately comes to mind.  His signature red soles are recognized by women everywhere. And most of us "ordinary" folk will never even get an opportunity to try on his beautiful shoes - and you can pretty much forget about owning a pair.

I decided to end my first cup of coffee this morning with a quick review of shoe prices.  I was astounded, probably because I have always considered spending a hundred dollars for a pair of shoes to be the personal maximum I'm willing to spend.  They are shoes after all.

For $6,395 you can own a Louboutin platform shoe.  If sandals are more your thing, then I found you a pair for only $695 (practically a bargain).  Flats for around $1,295 and a pair of high top (think tennis shoes) goes for $2,595.00.  Practically makes you want to whip out your credit card (or not!).

Then I found some shoes for sale in some magazine that I received and the ad was for four sandals - so not even a substantial shoe.  The cheapest pair was $295 and the most expensive was $865.00.  When I think of sandals, I think of wearing them this year and they'll be worn out by next summer and I'll get another pair.  I don't want my shoes to become a major asset, which is a good thing since I can't even begin to afford the cheapest pair of sandals that were shown in the ad!  

I don't know about you but my mood changes as do my shoes.  I don't want to have a lifelong relationship with a pair of shoes - nor do I want to have to make a special provision with my insurance company to guard against shoe theft!  However, I do suffer from shoe envy every now and then when I see someone wearing a beautiful pair of shoes. 

When I was a teenager (oh like a zillion years ago), I had beautiful shoes.  Lots of shoes.  I had a pair of Pappagallo flats in I believe some kind of yellow/orange color.  For memory sakes, I took a stroll down Pappagallo lane on Ebay and while all of the shoes are now considered vintage, they are still beautiful.

One Easter my mother made me a pink suit and I had a pair of matching heels that were light pink on the toe and brighter pink on the heel.  These shoes were very cute, not particularly comfortable but who cares when you're looking good!

I don't own any heels now.  Don't get me wrong, I still love shoes and love high heels, I just don't want to own or wear any.  Nope, I'm all about sensible now and almost all of my shoes are now flats.  I do have a dressy pair of shoes with a thick one inch heel.  I guess they could be categorized as heels - at least for the older set!

My cup is empty and it's time for me to change from my slippers (flat) into my tennis shoes, also flat!  At barely five feet, if I wore taller shoes I could look leaner - and who wouldn't like that?  Of course it's been so long since I've actually worn heels, there is the danger of falling flat on my face or back end!  So for safety sake, and because I gave up being vain a long time ago, I'll just stick to walking around in my flat shoes!

Have a wonderful Christmas Eve.  All of my packages are wrapped and all that's left to do is for Jeff and I to make deviled eggs and cherry cheesecake to take to Andrew's house tomorrow.

Enjoy the day.

P

2 comments:

  1. I also love high heels, don't own any, but I do still try them on at Nordstrom's Rack!
    I wish you the very merriest of Christmases!

    Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the same for you. "Santa" and I are busy in the kitchen making the dishes we are supposed to bring to Andrew's tomorrow. But since the doings are at somebody else's house, no particular need to run the dust rag around!

    Love P

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...