Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Volunteering Today

12/4/2013

For the first time in 10 months or so, I set my alarm clock because today is my first day of volunteering at a retirement home.  When you sign up to volunteer you check off boxes of things you would like to do.  I said that I would be up for delivering flowers, mail, water, etc.  I also said I would like to deliver books and/or read to a resident.  So we'll see what I do when I get there.

Volunteers have to sign up for shifts and I picked the early shift (9:30 to 12:30) because that leaves my afternoons free if I want to do something - besides housework (blah).  The afternoon shift ends at 4:30 and I don't feel comfortable driving after dark because I don't see well enough and it's better for me - and you - if I'm home before the sun sets.

I know this is brief but I've got to get ready to go, I don't want to be late!

It's a beautiful day here in the East and I hope the sun is shining at your house.

More later.

P

6 comments:

  1. I can see you doing this Patti - let us know how it goes; I think you will enjoy it and I know the patients will love you. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathi, while my assignment was super boring, and I wish I had thought to bring a crossword puzzle, the people I met were delightful.

      Delete
    2. Tiny steps are big steps!!! You should feel very proud of yourself. I know the patients will love you!

      Delete
  2. We'll be anxious to hear about your first day. This idea of helping others is so good for the soul. You'll be much appreciated and will do fine.

    Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I am sure that you will love the people that you assist and that it will be something you look forward to. You were so very brave today, so proud of you. Best of luck in the coming assignments. We both know you could spin circles around their office procedures.
    Marilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sure! A simple thing like collating and/or stapling would have made my paper shuffling so much easier.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...