Saturday, December 21, 2013

Gift Suggestions

12/21/2013

I'm assuming by a show of hands (all men by the way), that some of you haven't quite gotten around to buying Christmas presents.  Tsk, tsk.  Of maybe you're hoping that you can find a store open super early on Christmas and find something half off!  I suppose that's a possibility but could be iffy to find just the right gift for the right person.   Not all of us ladies appreciate receiving drill bits and screwdrivers in our Christmas stockings!  Now receiving a key to a brand new car in a stocking is all together different and would make a very nice gift!

I've done a little research for you and I hope it's not too late.  My advice is to avoid the pre-packaged gifts of beauty body care - unless you are absolutely sure that the fragrance inside the package is on your loved one's list, and likely it's not.

Be sure to stay away from all remote controlled toys, even though they look super neat.  If you want one, be sure to let your honey know, but please don't assume that a helicopter cruising around in the backyard is going to do anything for her.  I promise you it's not.  

Unless you're very good at picking out jewelry, and high quality is preferred, then avoid jewelry at all cost. At this time of year, you'll see all the nicely packaged boxes with "gold" and/or "diamond" jewelry inside, they generally don't make the best present. I, do of course remember that it's the gift that counts.

Avoid housewares like the plague.  I know that it's super easy to pick up a new blender, cookware or heaven forbid a vacuum - I assure you that none of these gifts are going to get you any brownie points.  Disclaimer: at least they wouldn't in my house.  I can pick out my own vacuum, and would prefer to do so.  One exception to housewares might be a Keurig coffee system - if, and only if, both of you really love coffee.  Jeff and I love our Keurig and though each cup costs about forty-one cents, it's worth every sip.  No fuss and no muss.  

I see "garbage bowls" advertised.  I have to assume that while you're cooking, you're supposed to put your potato peelings, egg shells and such in the bowls.  I don't understand why you would need a designated bowl, when the sink is probably within arm's reach!  But I'm sure these bowls will be sold, particularly since at this time of year they're on sale!

If you're significant other doesn't love perfumed candles and other things like that, then a gift of this sort would not be a good fallback gift.

Most women love clothes but only go there if you really know her preference in size, style and color!  Otherwise, move on to slippers!  I have found a lovely chenille sweater at Target that is just the best.  To make sure that my Santa knows what to buy I copied the stock number, size and color for him.  Loaded with all that information, he can't miss.

While it might be tempting to give the little woman a new television, I'd suggest you wait until after Christmas, when everything will be on sale and she can have some say in what is bought. Because I know for you guys size does matter, but most of us women don't need a television that covers an entire wall!

While it's tempting to buy some new gadget - trust me on this one - I would be very disappointed if a theater-style popcorn popper ended up under my tree.  This gadget weighs 13 pounds and is basically 14 inches square.  Do you really that sucker sitting on your countertop ALL the time?  I doubt it particularly since they make these new modern popcorn bags that you can zap for 3 minutes, pour out the popcorn and toss the bag, and it doesn't get easier than that.

For me, a bad gift would be Duck Dynasty clothing. I know you can get pink p.j.'s or a commander trucking cap, but it wouldn't be a good idea for there to be any camouflage clothing of any kind waiting under my tree!

Okay gents, grab those credit cards, and start buying!  It's cutting it close but I think if you're willing to pay for super expedited shipping, it's likely that a gift ordered right this minute will probably make it to your house before the 25th.  What did we do before we shopped on line?

Talk to you later.

P
 

2 comments:

  1. I am with you on all your no-no's. the other half struggles every year, even when I tell him what I want...never works. He has bought some fab gifts over the years...camera, gps for the car, etc. I good rid of the 10 year old car this year and bought a new car, so I cant complain, but surprises are really fun most of the time...M

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Remember we women have to get the dots reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal close together! Haha

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...