Friday, October 10, 2014

Going to the Movies

10/10/2014

I remember as a teenager, enjoying many Saturday afternoons spent with girlfriends at the movies.  In those days movie theaters really looked regal, with the curtains and balconies.  Today's theaters - not so much.  I can also remember that I didn't have to add to the national debt to see a movie!  Today you do.

Yesterday's movie was $11.00 to get in (this was at 5:00) and because I am a movie popcorn addict, had to have popcorn and coke - another $11.00.  These are ridiculous prices.  You know and I know that you can make a lot of popcorn for $11.00.  It is a ripoff, but still the smell of popcorn generally leads me to the cash register.

We watched "The 100 Step Journey" with Helen Mirren.  It was a peaceful and quiet movie and I enjoy every film that Mirren is in.  The movie though will not be an Oscar contender, it likely won't even be recognized for wardrobe, art or some of the lesser known categories.  

It seems that movies, like television, is now noisy and dark. The general public (and I'm not in that category), like murder, mayhem and characters that are dark and disturbing.  I used to like Blacklist, which is a very dark tv show, but because of the nightmares, I gave up watching.  Jeff now watches it alone.  I can't stand watching people being tortured, it looks too much like real life.  And if I'm interested in real life, then all I have to do is open the newspaper and read about whose been killed, whose been attacked, and who's going to jail.  Cruelty doesn't just happen to people, sometimes animals are involved, and animals have no voice.

So for me I will settle for peaceful, feel good movies and television anytime.

P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...