Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Westminster Dog Show

2/17/2015

The Westminster Dog Show is the "Superbowl" of dog shows.  The dogs you see strutting back and forth, wagging their tails are the best of the best.  They have won in countless dog shows and the owners are hoping for the coveted "Best of" award.  Each type of dog is measured against his or her peers in attempting to win.  The only part of the dog show that interests me is when the terriers come out.  Unlike my boy Sam, a Westie, who isn't professionally groomed, but looks good all the same, the Westie that trots around the circle is beautiful and you can tell that each hair has been plucked or cut looking for perfection.

Along time ago, in my first life, my then husband and I had a German Shepherd named, unfortunately, Fang.  After receiving certification from a veterinarian, to establish that Fang was indeed a real German Shepherd, which we needed, since we didn't have any AKC papers for him, we were allowed to show him only in obedience trials.  The obedience trials dictate that your dog must sit, down, come and stand.  If memory serves me correctly, Fang did quite well in obedience trials except he absolutely refused to stand, so he was never a first place winner.


According to one kennel owner, the price tag for a year of showing or "campaigning" a dog leading up to Westminster can be more than $250,000.  That's the cost of a home!

Best of show for dogs confirms that people love their dogs - a lot.

P


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me people. Please leave me your comments!

Closing Up Shop

7/3/3021 Dear Friends and Family, I've decided to, for the present time, turning my blog off. Over the years, I've had faithful foll...